Elementary School Teaching :

What is the best way for a 1st grade teacher to maximize an E.L. (English Learner) student's score on their district's test?

Monday, April 28, 2014

Exit Interview




(1)What is your essential questions and answers? What is your best answer and why?
              EQ:What is the best way for a 1st Grade teacher to maximize and E.L. student's score on district's test?
 Best Answer: There are many ways for a 1st grade teacher to maximize a E.L.'s student score on their district's test. One of the most effective ways a 1st grade teacher can maximize a E.L.'s student's score on their district's test is by social learning through ELD programs in schools.
         -This is my best answer because there is more factual and concrete evidence that have lead me to many articles discussing on the importance, the value and different ELD programs and the effects of success the children have with these implemented programs in place at their school.

(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?
       I did a lot of articles focusing on my foundation. I noticed  a lot of social learning aspects at schools that lead me to my first and second answers . However, my third answer didn't occur to me until I did a general search of E.L. students. It led me straight to ELD programs and that's when I started to look into them as a possible answer and found a lot of articles with research evidence or test they(the authors) conducted in different ratio settings and different types of programs.

(3) What problems did you face? How did you resolve them?
             I faced problems such as trying to find someone who was well-rounded with E.L. students in their classroom other than my mentor. Some had already retired and others were barely starting out as teachers so the didn't have as much experience that could be beneficial to me. To solve this little bump in the road what I did was, I went to either a grade level below 1st grade or above and asked around who would be willing to interview with me about E.L. students, and teachers who have worked with children a long while. That's when I found Mrs. Chan. She worked in other grade levels but had the most experience with kindergarteners, who had a lot of experience with E.L. students. 
            
(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?
          Mrs. Chan who led me to finding out what me third answer was going to be early on and Ms. De La Pena who lead me to finding research about my first two answers and later referred me to Mrs. Chan as a possible source to help find  a more different perspective on what E.L.'s may need.Both teachers thought what E.L. students' needed was different because of the grade level they taught and the amount of children in each class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment