Elementary School Teaching :

What is the best way for a 1st grade teacher to maximize an E.L. (English Learner) student's score on their district's test?

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Blog 19: Independent Component 2



LITERAL


(a) I, Xena Perez-Angeles, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.

(b) Several teachers at the school. One of the ones who helped me the most was Mrs. Chan, especially because I did my last two interviews with her. She also referred me on what I should look up during my research checks.

(d) Overall, I helped various teachers with anything they needed but Mrs. Chan was the one who had the help from me, especially because she helped me with my interviews. I helped her doing the regular activities she did with the children such as making sure they are focused on the task at hand, they wrote down what they needed to write and organized the children. I helped the other teachers on the campus by making copies; grading test, quizzes, ect. ; inputing grades into the grade book ; and filing as well as printing.
   

INTERPRETIVE

 Something significant when I was helping Mrs. Chan she had previously mentioned in the interview was the support of the English Learner students at home and school from their parents. The biggest impact to the children are the parents supporting the children in the acquisition of a new language. I saw in the mornings that the children's parents would come and volunteer in the morning in their child's class. However, as the day progressed the parent volunteers will slowly start to dwindle. Mrs. Chan explained the difference this year's class compared to last year's class was that although there were less E.L. students in her class last year she had more parental support on the child through parent volunteer involvement in their child's classroom. This year's class has significantly more E.L. students yet their is very little parental support through parent volunteer involvement in the child's' classroom. I saw evidence of this where I saw only two or three parents maximum come and be a parent volunteer for the morning in comparison to other classes as well.  (I will provide photos/ transcripts very shortly. I do not has some at this time.)



APPLIED


Mrs. Chan helped greatly in giving more hands-on with my second and third answer. My second answer was social learning through oral language and I realized in her classroom that this is especially presented, and used with E.L. students in the elementary grades especially kindergarten to 3rd grade. These are the "active" years for the children because they tend to be more social with their interactions , thus they talk more to each other which can be a proven distraction in the classroom but is beneficial to the students during their recess and lunch break.My third answer was social learning through ELD programs in schools. At the end of the school day, there were a handful of children, also E.L. who were enrolled in ELD programs after school and I saw that the children interacted socially with the other children who were not only in their grade level but a year or two older then them.  The older E.L. students, who know more about "correct" english would help the younger ones correctly pronounce what they were trying to say so that they start to use that term or phrase. I compare this to, better yet an example of this is when a mother has a son or daughter who cannot pronounce a difficult word. The child mispronounces it, but the mother states to the child how to correctly pronounce it and the child repeats the word back to the mother to make sure he or she is pronouncing is right. The mother isn't telling the child "You are wrong! It is said like this..", but simply " Oh, the word is actually...." in a positive statement rather than a negative one that will be hurtful towards the child making the child not want to learn anymore. With Mrs. Chan I  helped her, through spring break with an easter egg activity that was fun for the kids but also helped them learn correct spelling and numbers in order to better succeed at first grade .


















No comments:

Post a Comment